Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Chairs Missing (1978)

Maybe it has something to do with the alphabet, maybe with a general disinclination toward the product of Brits, but a number of good to great albums from the likes of Wire, XTC, and/or Young Marble Giants escaped my attention in their heyday. I missed this one so completely that I was surprised to learn even of its existence a few years ago. The confluence of punk and art continued apace as Wire principals became ever more adept at writing songs, playing their instruments, and maximizing advantages of a recording studio. You can go ahead and envy me my late-arriving encounter -- hearing it at last has been an experience similar to hearing VU in 1985 -- or pity me for missing it so long. If you haven't heard it, don't make the mistake that I did. Trying to help you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment